unglamorous adj : not challenging; dull and lacking excitement; "an unglamorous job greasing engines" [syn: commonplace, humdrum, prosaic, unglamourous]
Unglamorous is the first major label debut album from country/folk singer Lori McKenna. After three songs written by McKenna appeared on Faith Hill's 2005 album, Fireflies, Warner Bros. Records re-released McKenna's 2004 album Bittertown (her fourth independent release). Unglamorous, however, is the first album of McKenna's recorded specifically for a major label. The album was released August 14, 2007 on StyleSonic Records through Warner Bros. Records.
Hill's husband, Tim McGraw co-produces the album and each of them contributes vocals to one of the tracks. Other notable guest appearances are made by Kelly Willis, Darrell Scott, Bryan Sutton and Buddy Miller.
SongsAll of the songs were written or co-written by McKenna. She describes her songs as a collision of autobiography, observation and a vivid imagination. Writing for Billboard, critic Ken Tucker suggests the album may be "one of [2007's] best country albums."
McKenna also appeared with Hill on Oprah. She performed on ABC's Good Morning America on the day the album was released and was also featured on Nightline. People and Oprah Winfrey's O Magazine also featured pieces covering McKenna.
McKenna tourS with the support of a Boston band (musicians that do not appear on this recording) that includes Mark Erelli, Paul Kochanski, Russell Chudnofsky, and John Sands. She now is opening up for country superstar Trisha Yearwood
- "I Know You" (McKenna) - 3:57
- "Unglamorous" (McKenna, Rose) - 4:12
- "Your Next Lover" (McKenna) - 4:28
- "I'm Not Crazy" (McKenna) - 4:18
- "Falter" (McKenna) - 4:49
- "Witness to Your Life" (McKenna) - 3:31
- "Drinkin' Problem" (McKenna, Sanders) - 4:00
- "How to Survive" (McKenna, Rose) - 4:37
- "Written Permission" (McKenna) - 4:08
- "Confetti" (McKenna, Wilhelm) - 4:01
- "Leaving This Life" (McKenna, Sanders) - 4:53
- Lori McKenna - vocals and acoustic guitar
- Tom Bukovac - acoutsitc & electric guitars
- Dan Dugmore - Dobro, steel guitar
- Stuart Duncan - fiddle, mandolin
- Shannon Forrest - drums
- Byron Gallimore - synthesizer & electric guitar
- Tony Harrell - organ, synthesizer, piano, harmonium, Wurlitzer
- Darrell Scott - acoustic guitar, mandolin
- Bryan Sutton - acoustic guitar, mandolin
- Glenn Worf - bass
- String arrangements on "Your Next Lover", "Falter" &
"Leaving This Life" by Kristin Wilkinson
- Kristin Wilkinson - viola
- David Angell - violin
- David Davidson - Violin
- John Catchings - cello
- Background vocals:
- Greg Barnhill - "I Know You", "Unglamorous", "Your Next Lover", "Written Permission" & "Confetti"
- Bekka Bramlett - "Unglamorous"
- Byron Gallimore - "Written Permission"
- Faith Hill - "Falter"
- Tim McGraw - "Drinkin' Problem"
- Buddy Miller - "How to Survive"
- Kelly Willis - "I'm Not Crazy" & "Leaving this Life"
- Produced by Tim McGraw & Byron Gallimore
- Recorded by Julian King at Ocean way, Nashville, Tennessee
- Assistant engineers - David Bryant, PJ French, and Todd Shall
- Additional editing and Pro Tools - Erik Lutkins, Sara Lesher & Jesse Chrisman at Essential Sound, Nashville
- Kelly Willis' background vocals:
- Recorded at Premium Recording
- Engineer Kevin Symanski
- "Confetti" and "I Know You"
- Mixed by Julian King at Ocean Way, Nashville
- Mix assistants - Leslie Richter, David Bryant
- "I'm Not Crazy" and "Drinkin' Problem"
- Mixed by Erik Lutkins at Essential sound, Nashville
- Mix assistant - Sara Lesher
- "Leaving This Life", "Unglamorous", "Your Next Lover",
"Falter", "Witness to Your Life", "How to Survive", and "Written
- Mixed by Byron Gallimore at Essential Sound, Nashville
- Mix assistants - Erik Lutkins, sara Lesher and Jesse Chrisman
- Mastered by Adam Ayan at Gateway Mastering, Portland, Minnesota
- Art direction & design - Stephen Walker
- Art production - Aaron Horwitz
- Photography - andrew Southam, Michael "Mick" Wilson & Nancy Giroux